The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) maintains the SMS SCAM Industry Code (“Scam Code”), placing obligations on all carriers and carriage service providers (C/CSPs) to implement measures to protect consumers from harms caused by scams and to disrupt scam activity in Australia.
Among other obligations, the Code places obligations on C/CSPs not to originate short message (SMs) traffic on their networks using Alphanumeric Sender IDs without taking steps to confirm that the A-Party has a valid use case for the Alphanumeric Sender ID
Under the Scam Code, customers wanting to use Alpha Tags must provide acceptable evidence that they have a valid use case for that Alpha Tag. This evidence includes:
- A written statement, including through email or other electronic means, where the customer confirms to their service provider that they have a valid use case for the specified Alphanumeric Sender ID.
- A written statement, including through email or other electronic means, from a third party (such as a marketing or communications company or entity), that they are authorised to use the Alphanumeric Sender ID on behalf of an entity with a valid use case.
- Where there is an existing or prior business relationship, where the service provider has established that a valid use case exists.
Currently there is no central regulatory body managing the registrations, each service provider needs to comply with the scam code regulations.
Valid use cases for Alpha Tags includes but are not limited to:
- Your Sole Trader name.
- Your Company name.
- Your Partnership name.
- Your registered Trust name.
- Your Co-Operative name.
- Your Indigenous Corporation name.
- Your Registered Organisation name.
- Your personal name.
- Your registered Australian or international trade mark.
- The name of a Commonwealth, State or Territory government, or government agency or entity you are authorised to use.
- The name of a foreign government, government agency or entity that you are authorised to use.
- Your product or service.
- An acronym, initialism, or contraction of your entity.
Alpha Tag registration is a critical step in ensuring the continued effective use of SMS messaging for your business. By registering your Alpha Tags, you contribute to a safer, more secure messaging environment, while ensuring your brand recognition remains intact.