"Link Previews" is a feature that automatically shortens any URL to 22 characters. The functionality allows you to set the title and image of what will display on a handset when your SMS is delivered. This does work differently for each type of device, depending on whether it is on iOS or Android as their operating system.
To use this feature, you must first have "Short trackable links" enabled in your account settings:
If not enabled and you wish to use it, please reach out to our Account Management team who can assist you with this on email@example.com
Customising Link Previews:
Prepare sending a message as you normally would, adding the contacts and your message content. If you are unsure of how to do this you can check our Sending Messages article.
Don’t add your link in the message content box. You will configure your Link Preview in the next step.
Once the contacts and content have been added, click the Link previews item in the Message Content box:
In the resulting modal, you are required to then enter the information in all the fields:
- Link address (URL) – The actual URL that you will want shortened and where once clicked, the recipient will be directed to.
- Link preview title – This is the title that will show for the Link Preview. This could be a company name, website name etc.
- Link preview image– The image that will display in the Link Preview. This must be less than 300kb. We recommend the image size be 900px by 474px in .png, .jpg or .gif format
- You do not have to include media - the message will still send but with just the shortened link and no image
Once you have entered these details, your preview will appear as an attachment to your message, which you can remove by clicking on the cross next to the link name:
Continue with the message sending process as normal.
Important things to remember:
Link Previews act differently depending on the receiving devices operating system, whether it is iOS or Android. For both devices, the Link Preview will only display if the following requirements are met:
- Recipients have the “Sender Number” saved in their contacts. This means you should send Link Previews from a dedicated number that your recipients can save.
- The “Sender ID” must be numerical, it cannot be an Alpha Tag or business name
- If you add an additional link to your message content when the "Include a link preview" box is ticked, you will see a warning message telling you that the link preview will not display properly
- Links in the link preview field must start with http:// or https://
- You will need a dedicated number or familiar sender setup on your account.
- iOS – Active by default on the handset, if the sender number is saved in the contacts
- Android – Needs to be enabled on the handset itself. To do this, the recipient must navigate to Settings > Google > Data & Messaging and then select App Preview Messages as on: