How many characters can I send in an SMS?
A message can be classified as 2 types:
- Standard message - contains characters from the GSM Basic Character Set (see below)
- Unicode message - If a message contains any characters that aren’t in the GSM 03.38 basic character set, the message type will be treated as unicode. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_03.38).
A standard SMS message has a maximum of 160 characters. Longer messages are definitely possible, however please be aware that exceeding 160 characters will constitute a ‘second’ message. The end user will see this as 1 long message on their handset.
When a message is longer than 160 characters, this is referred to as a multi-part message as it contains multiple messages (or multiple-parts). The total SMS limit then becomes 153 characters per ‘part’ as the 7 characters are used up by invisible headers and footers which denote which part of the message is being sent (i.e. Part 1 of 2). For example: If a message is longer than 6 message parts, it will be truncated (see below):
Standard English Characters:
- 1 – 160 characters = 1 Message
- 161 – 306 characters = 2 Messages
- 307 – 459 characters = 3 Messages
- 460 – 612 characters = 4 Messages
- 613 – 765 characters = 5 Messages
- 766 – 918 characters = 6 Messages
- 919 – 1071 characters = 7 Messages
- 1072 – 1224 characters = 8 Messages
Non-GSM (Unicode) characters:
- 1 – 70 characters = 1 Message
- 71 – 134 characters = 2 Messages
- 135 – 201 characters = 3 Messages
- 202 – 268 characters = 4 Messages
- 269 – 335 characters = 5 Messages
- 336 – 402 characters = 6 Messages
- 403 – 469 characters = 7 Messages
- 470 – 536 characters = 8 Messages
GSM Basic Character Set
Note: Line breaks/carriage returns count as 2 characters.
Can I send Emojis?
Yes you can, provided that the recipient network supports it. If the recipient network doesn't support them, they will be stripped out. Emojis are counted as 2 unicode characters each.
Do spaces count as characters?
Yes, spaces do count as characters.
For example, the phrase "Changes aren't permanent, but change is." has 40 characters in total (including spaces and punctuation).
The library of Unicode Characters typically increases periodically as new characters are added. While we do automatically convert some common Unicode characters in the New Message page, we will display an alert when new Unicode characters are detected. We can also turn on our 'Smart Encoding' feature for your account to automatically convert some common Unicode characters as you send messages. Please contact our friendly support team if you have more questions or wish to turn on 'Smart Encoding'.